Tuesday 8 January 2013

The Little Man's Chair

I mentioned in a previous post how our household loves to buy second hand items from various sites such as kijiji and garage sales. In the fall, I saw two children's club chairs advertised on an online Facebook garage sale site for $40.00 and I knew right away that Parker just NEEDED these chairs. After getting the chairs home I noticed that there more wear on the chairs that I had anticipated, however I only ended up paying $30.00 for the pair - after I told the seller that I would take both she lowered the price! The wooden frames need to be reinforced, there are small paint splatters all over the vinyl and some of the white piping was starting to wear. But two chairs of $30.00 is still a steal - especially after seeing Parker's reaction when he first saw them in our living room.


Here's a picture of Parker sitting in the red chair - not a great photo, however it does show the wear in the piping. I'm not exactly sure how to go about fixing the piping so I am going to leave that for a future project that will most likely involve my mom who is a fantastic seamstress. She has also had experience reupholstering many pieces of furniture.



Here's a closeup picture of the blue chair and the white speckled paint. First I tried a general all-purpose cleaner. Although this did remove some of the scuff marks, it didn't remove any of the paint. I have used Magic Erasers in the past for scuff marks on walls, however it did not work on this chair. Then I thought about rubbing alcohol. My husband managed to get pen ink on our white bar stools and the baby's glider and after searching on the internet for the best cleaning, rubbing alcohol was recommended. I am happy to say that the pen ink did come out of our furniture and after only twenty minutes of elbow grease, it also removed the paint speckles on Parker's chairs!

I had the chair sitting in our living room and when Parker woke up from his nap we sat him in the chair and he instantly smiled. Next he sat on his knees and held onto the back of the chair, using it as a steering wheel and starting making his 'vvvrrooommm vvvrrooommm" noises.


Doesn't he look so grown up in this picture!!

No comments:

Post a Comment