Tuesday 15 January 2013

One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other

For the past week or so I've been on an organizing/decorating craze. I'm sure it's a mixture of making the most of my last few weeks on maternity leave and the fact that we will be having a lot of guests coming to our home to celebrate Parker's birthday. The last time we entertained was back in April when my husband threw me a surprise party for my 30th birthday - sad, but I guess that's what happens when you have a new baby in the home.

In my last post I talked about adding some colour to our living room (you can find that here). I also mentioned that all of the furniture in our living/dining/office space was dark. However, Parker received a (white!!) train table for Christmas and due to the tight quarters in our main living area, the train table has been plopped down next to my desk. That being said, my desk, which I received as a gift for university, was standing out like a sore thumb. It was the only piece of furniture in our space that was beachwood. I suggested to Rob that we paint the desk white to match the train table which would ultimately brighten up the space, however he was not on board. That is until he came home from work...

Here's a picture of my cluttered desk and the mass of wires and cords behind it.

Computer Desk

While Parker was napping, I decided to take the plunge and paint the desk! Confession: I didn't take the time to sand and prime the desk before painting it for a two reasons. (1) I had a limited amount of time before Parker woke from his nap. (2) I wasn't sure if we were going to like the outcome of the painted desk. (3) If we liked the white desk, I would then take the time to sand and prime the desk, repaint it and add a finish.

Painted Desk & Train Table
We both agreed that the desk looked great white, however it still didn't fit our space. I wanted to hang some pictures or artwork behind the desk and due to the configuration of our current desk and our limited space, this wasn't possible.

So here are two options from Ikea, both very reasonably priced. I like the look of the Micke desks - they are sleek and modern and they will take up less space than our current desk which we are going to move down to the dungeon basement and Rob will use it as his workspace.


Now, just to find the time to drive to Ottawa and buy our Micke desk!!



1 comment: